To contribute to improvement of population health of Myanmar by building, among public health students, a high level of capacity in epidemiology relevant to prevention, control and research of health problems in Myanmar
To develop leaders in public health who have epidemiological core competencies for carrying out essential public health functions effectively.
Core competencies of Epidemiology are:
- Apply the basic terminology and definitions of epidemiology
- Identify key sources of data for epidemiologic purposes.
- Calculate basic epidemiological measures.
- Describe a public health problem in terms of magnitude, person, time and place.
- Identify major epidemiological study designs.
- Comprehend and apply major approaches in epidemiological data analysis.
- Draw appropriate inferences from epidemiologic data.
- Communicate epidemiologic information to lay and professional audiences.
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of epidemiologic reports.
- Identify and apply the principles and limitations of public health screening programs.
- Identify and apply the principles of disease surveillance system.
- Identify and apply the principles of prevention and control of communicable and non-communicable diseases with focus on priority health problems of Myanmar.
- Identify and apply the public health approaches to health emergencies including disease outbreaks and disasters.
- Identify and apply the epidemiological methods to health care management, survey, etiologic and intervention research and health services evaluation
- Comprehend basic principles pertaining to the collection, maintenance, use and dissemination of epidemiologic data.
The teaching learning areas
Section (I) General Epidemiology
- Measures of frequency
- Measure of association
- Experimental studies
- Cohort study
- Case-control study
- Cross-sectional study
- Correlational (ecologic) study
- Bias and confounding
- Causal inference
- Critical appraisal
Section (II) Applied Epidemiology
- Assessment and monitoring of population health status
- Disease surveillance
- Preventive strategies
- Epidemiology in health care management and evaluation
- Epidemiological research (Designing and data analysis)
- Infectious disease epidemiology
- Introduction to clinical epidemiology
Section (III) Disease Specific Epidemiology
- Field epidemiology and practices
- Epidemiology of Major diseases in Myanmar
- Malaria and other vector borne diseases
- Vaccine preventable disease
- Non-communicable Diseases